Wednesday, January 14, 2009

An Introduction

I love my hometown city of Seattle, Washington. However I don’t listen to indie or grunge music, but rather, anything on the top forty. I like to read classics and best-sellers, but never mysteries. In high school I rowed on a crew team and wrote for my school newspaper. When I first meet people I am quiet and reserved. Once I warm up to them I am silly, out-going and somewhat of an advice giver. “Tracey is always willing to share her pearls of wisdom,” said roommate Julia Imbriaco. I try to put myself in other people’s shoes as much as possible. However I am secretly a fraud in my advice giving because I am constantly obsessed with learning about people and trying to comprehend their emotions. I came to American University with the intention of majoring in anthropology. After taking an entry level anthropology class, with an eccentric nameless professor, I decided I loathed the broadness of the subject and moved into the realm of being completely undecided. I began a tradition in my group of friends called major shopping. We would flip through the course catalog and whatever page we landed on would become our new major. Sadly I knew that fate must not have gone along with our game because I flipped to Physics. A subject I had no interest in and would need my absent math skills. My Understanding Mass Media class was my favorite second semester of freshman year. Learning about the connections between the different modes of communication fascinated me. I remembered how writing for a newspaper in high school brought me to different group and relinquished my curiosity about all kinds of trends in the school. I realized through journalism, I could work to understand people in the now.

No comments:

Post a Comment